Roasted Tomato Soup – Rich, bold, and flavorful Tomato Soup made with roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic, and basil.
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
Healthy, velvety Roasted Tomato Soup blends the flavors of garden fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Prepared with just a handful of ingredients, this tomato soup recipe is so much better than the canned version and it couldn’t be simpler to make!
IF I had to describe this soup in just 4 words, it would be; yummy, healthy, warm, and cozy. Roasting the tomatoes adds extra sweetness and a ton of flavor, AND eliminates all the fuss with standing above the stove and stirring.
Remember last week when I shared my Ricotta and Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes recipe? And I told you about my very generous garden and all the tomatoes it has given us?
Well. I’m still working on using up all my tomatoes before they go bad. And I assume I’m not the only one that has 3,000 bushels of tomatoes to use up, am I. I’m just trying to help out everyone that is in the same boat as me.
This roasted tomato soup is totally a summer-crossing-into-fall type of soup. I mean, you’ve got these wonderful summer tomatoes that end up in a roasting pan with garlic and onions. That right there should make you want to pray for cold weather, pajamas, and tomato soup. With a side of grilled cheese… oh. my. YUM!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
You know what’s best about this roasted tomato soup? How easy it is to put together. You can probably make it in your sleep.
- We start with arranging our tomatoes on a baking sheet together with garlic and onions, and roast that for about 25 minutes.
- Once they are roasted, transfer to a soup pot and stir in fresh basil leaves and low sodium vegetable broth. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until completely smooth. OR blend in small batches in a Blender. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Pour into soup bowls; garnish with parmesan cheese and sliced basil, then serve.
And that’s it! SO easy, right?!
CAN I USE DIFFERENT TOMATOES?
Yes, Roma tomatoes would be perfect. I suggest to cut them in quarters before roasting.
SHOULD I PEEL THE TOMATOES?
I never do. I roast and blend the tomatoes with their peel on and it has never been a problem.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOMATO SOUP
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are the best when served with a hot bowl of Tomato Soup! I also like to serve it with Baked Mozzarella Sticks and a Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER TOMATO SOUP
- Store soup in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE TOMATO SOUP
If making this soup with the intention to freeze, do not add in the heavy cream. The problem with heavy cream in soups is that it curdles when you try to reheat it. You can wait to stir in the heavy cream when ready to serve.
- To Freeze: Pour completely cooled Tomato Soup into a gallon size Freezer Bag; keep soup in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- When ready to serve, thaw soup overnight in the refrigerator.
- Reheat in a soup-pot over medium heat.