This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is deliciously rich & creamy and perfect for chilly fall days.
This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is all the things you would want in a perfect bowl of soup for this chilly fall season. It’s rich, creamy and spiced with all those yummy fall flavors like cinnamon, curry and cumin. I just want to cuddle up on the couch with a bowl of it… This recipe is very similar to a Butternut Squash Soup with Apple recipe that I got from Olive Marketplace and Café in Walla Walla, but I’m changing things up just a little bit.
Their original recipe uses a LOT of coconut milk – I’m lightening up this version a little bit by using half the amount of coconut milk and swapping in some chicken stock for the other half. It’s still rich & delicious, with fewer calories and fat.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- You could definitely add in some veggie stock instead for a completely vegetarian and vegan butternut squash soup.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- To make this curried butternut squash soup in the slow cooker, simply saute the onions in a bit of olive oil, then add them to the crockpot with all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the coconut milk. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until the squash and apples are tender. Add coconut milk and puree.
However you choose to make this soup, I can pretty much guarantee that you’re going to fall instantly in love with it.
What Goes Well with Butternut Squash Soup?
- Arugula Salad Recipe
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Shaved Fennel and Celery Salad
- Fresh Bread
- Grilled Cheese
Can You Freeze Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk?
- Yes! Store squash soup in a freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months.
Wine Pairings for Curried Butternut Squash Soup:
- Gewürztraminer and Riesling are great pairings for the delicate spices in this soup.
- Alternatively, a high-acid, crisp wine like Pinot Gris would work well to cut through the richness of the soup.
- A dry-sparkling wine like Cava will also work well here to help cut through the creaminess of the soup nicely but hold up to the spicy flavors of the soup.
If you loved this Curried Butternut Squash Soup I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings & Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.